B2B marketing strategies can be difficult to build and even harder to manage. That’s why we developed the Purposeful Marketing Method, a simplified and results-focused approach that integrates B2B marketing efforts into real business development. Below is a detailed explanation of the PMM. If you’re a more visual learner and want to see an abbreviated overview, click here to download.
The Purposeful Marketing Method
Why Companies Need the Purposeful Marketing Method
Some of the most common complaints businesses have about their marketing efforts:
- We can’t quantify how our marketing initiatives lead to growth
- Our marketing and sales operations are not in sync
- We lack consistency in our message
- We are spending money and unsure of what we should be getting
- We are trying a lot of things and nothing is working
Companies deserve more out of their marketing. They deserve to understand why every action is taking place, why every dollar is being spent, and how the results of their campaigns tie into their business growth. With the Purposeful Marketing Method, businesses never have to ask why again. Every action is clear. Every initiative can be measured. Every dollar is accounted for. Every plan is pointed to growth.
How it Works
There are three stages to the method. We start with focus. We climb the obstacles blocking us from where we want to be. And then we execute month-over-month, tracking and optimizing along the way.
First 90 Days: Strategy and Business Development
The Purposeful Marketing Method is implemented by B2B Marketing guides.
The guides each are trained to use the B2B marketing tools we have built that are needed for businesses to obtain the alignment between Brand, Data, and Sales.
Guides host full-day strategy sessions where they help businesses integrate these tools into their operation. The guides segment the work into three full-day sessions: Brand Day, Audience + Data Day, and Marketing-to-Sales Day. These workshops are generally spaced out one month apart.
Each day has its own set of decisions a company needs to make:
- The Why, How, and What of how we conduct business
- The paragraph that sells our business
- How we communicate our business in 7 words or less
- The most valuable aspects about us and how they bring value
- Our top collateral needs
- A cohesive style direction we can agree on
- How do we project our Leadership Message in the Attract Phase?
- How we will showcase our Proven Process?
- How do we take this work and put it into our current collateral?
- What SMART Goals can we add to Obstacle List?
Audience + Data Day
- Identify our 3 Target Personas to market to and their:
Most Important Metrics (MIM):
- The most important metrics towards your growth.
- Identify the supporting metrics that feed into each MTM and the numbers you have to hit to get the desired end results.
- Audit the current marketing budget and resources. Determine what we think we need to spend to hit our goals.
- How do we begin simplifying and tracking our data each week?
- What SMART Goals can we add to Obstacle List?
- Determine the three sales funnels you will market to and how will you market at each step of the Customer Lifecycle.
The 90 Day Obstacle Sprint:
- Before we begin executing the M2S Maps, what needs to be developed beforehand and how much will it all cost?
- Quarterly calendars
- Annual calendar
- How will we track our Obstacle Sprint progress on a weekly basis to stay on track?
The Next 90 Days: The Obstacle Sprint
The purpose of this B2B Marketing Strategy is that every step feeds into the next. At the beginning of each strategy day, guides will put up a sheet with the word “Obstacles” at the top. Throughout the day, companies will identify the obstacles that stand in their way.
On Brand Day, businesses usually find the development of new collateral to be a biggest obstacle. This can be as simple as a business card or as complex as a new website. On Audience + Data Day, we do a Budget + Resources Audit. This is where companies typically recognize their limited capacity and see the need for new systems, staff, and vendors as Obstacles. And after the Sales Day, M2S Maps are drawn, usually with a significant amount of Obstacles that require a full quarter to complete. These can be the implementation of new software, development of ad campaigns, the hiring of staff or vendors to complete the work, etc.
To get ahead of the Obstacles, we leave Brand Day and Data Day by adding SMART (Specific Measurable Achievable Realistic Timely) goals to the Obstacles. For instance, if a company identifies on Brand Day that they need a new brochure, we task them to identify the cost, assign the job to a staff member (or to the ATAK team) and produce a V1. If they identify the need for a new CRM during Audience + Data Day during the Resource Audit, we task them with the SMART goal of setting up and attending 5 demos.
While we do our best to get a jump start on the Obstacle List, we schedule ourselves 90 days after Sales Day to get EVERYTHING done. If we cannot do it in that time frame, then the project needs to be re-examined.
Once we identify the Obstacles remaining, we break down each project and make sure we’re clear on the budget, timeline, and responsible parties for each remaining task.
Every Month Thereafter: Execution + Optimization
In the Purposeful Marketing Method, we aim to simplify things. We identify the Customer Lifecycle as simply:
Everything we recommend a business invest in during the M2S Map exercise feeds into one of those four stages of the Lifecycle. If a company is doing something just to do it without any reason or purpose, we take it away. If you’re chasing BS data like impressions so you can show something big and shiny to your boss, we tell you why it’s not important. This is where that plan turns to ACTION.
As a result, your marketing will become a never-ending continuum of work that supports these four functions. With everything mapped out, it’s time to execute, track, and optimize.
Because the Purposeful Marketing Method is so flexible, the execution stage looks different for every business. When a company dives deep into their marketing-to-sales process, they have to take a good look in the mirror and be honest about the resources that they have and identify what they need.
Guides help businesses make smart decisions when it comes to bringing on systems, staff, and vendors. They help you hire full-service B2B marketing agencies like ATAK Interactive that can execute most of the monthly marketing needs such as creating content, search engine optimization, AdWords, social media advertising, and other inbound initiatives. They help you decide with software and systems to use such as HubSpot or Salesforce. And guides can identify internal staff members for companies to train and provide resources to so they can carry out some of the work internally.
There’s so much discovery that happens in the first stage that will dictate exactly how your company will Attract Prospects, Connect with Prospects, Closing Prospects into Customers, and Delight the Customers.
Who is the Purposeful Marketing Method For?
The PMM is for B2B companies looking to use marketing efforts to grow the business. Many organizations invest in marketing because they know they’re supposed to. But they spend money on ads, agencies, and ideas without any understanding of why they’re doing what they’re doing, how it’s going to work, or its relationship to sales growth. If you’re one of these companies, the PMM was built for you.
Generally, our clients are privately held companies that range from $5m to $100m in annual gross revenue. They understand the importance of strategy. They think big picture and are more interested in investing in a sustainable process they can execute and scale than trying to get some quick wins to fill a quota.
Does your company want to…
- Persuasively communicate your brand through messaging and visuals?
- Develop a marketing budget focused on what will provide a return?
- Invest effectively in marketing efforts at each step of the customer lifecycle?
- Eliminate the noise and focus on the things that really help you grow?
- Organize, execute, and track your marketing systems?
Ready to begin marketing with purpose?
Request a FREE 90 Minute Meeting Today!
Where Focus Meets Follow-Through
See How to Get the Most Out Of Your:
Search Engine Optimization
Conversion Rate Optimization
What the PMM Helps With: