As SEO and eCommerce specialists, we at ATAK Interactive want to share our thoughts on the importance of blogging for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and also discuss why blogging becomes more crucial with Google’s latest algorithm update, “Hummingbird.”
Let’s start with a brief explanation of Google’s new algorithm update. Google updates its algorithm every 6 months, on average, to provide more convenient search results. Compared to Panda and Penguin (previous algorithm updates from Google), the Hummingbird update emphasizes unique content rather than using keywords (stuffing) or duplicating text to get. Let’s just keep this information on our mind for now; we will see why it is strongly related to blogging below.
Every time we post content on our blog, it creates a new URL for our website, and that increases your chances for your website to be ranked higher in search engines. Using keywords in your posts are crucial for ranking, but with the new Google algorithm update choosing a good, relevant topic will drastically increase your SEO value. Obviously, we can’t change our website’s main content every day, so posting new text by blogging on your website will help you rank higher. That’s the key to help our SEO by using blogs.
There are several points to make your blog more efficient for SEO:
- Relevant Content: As we mentioned above, with the new algorithm update the quality of the content becomes way more important than anything else. Your content must help people, conveniently, so Google can rank it and users can share on social media outlets like Twitter or Facebook.
- Content Amount Counts: Number of pages on your website, sub-pages, and blogs (posts) help to grow your page count and also your social activity. More posts allow people to share more things from your website.
- Back linking: Commenting on other blogs that include your URL will provide back links to your site. Writing blog comments with your URL on other high-quality, respected websites will help build your reputation in Google’s eyes.
- Title Writing: In the new algorithm, Hummingbird, we are also seeing benefit with topics that have a question in the title. We should think about the problems of our clients or readers and find the best and catchy question for the title. Users are often searching by typing questions into Google search bar. Top ten lists and checklist type posts also seem to get a lot of traction over general topics.
- Design: Your blog’s design must be reader friendly and has to be a fantastic reader experience. Otherwise, readers or clients won’t read our blog. To learn more about the importance of design visit ATAK Interactive’s web design and development portfolio; http://www.atakinteractive.com/services/72/web-design-development.php
- In-Depth Content: After the Hummingbird update, content creation is become more important than linking. Linking is still an effective way for ranking, but not as much as when Panda or Penguin updates were around. With the new algorithm, we should write rich, quality content while providing help to our readers. Duplicating content or writing hundreds of keywords is not going to help your Search Engine Placement anymore. In fact, writing long, in-depth content is crucial for your ranking in 2014.
In conclusion, blogging is still one of the most effective ways to attain a better ranking on Google, but from now on we should be aware of the updates and apply the bullet points above to our blogs immediately. We have to adapt our strategies to the changing environment of today’s Internet. Every little update or change may affect your SEO strategy. At ATAK Interactive, we provide the best solutions for our clients by being updated and ready for every change in this fast paced environment.